Club: Beerschot AC | Opening: 1920 | Capacity: 12,771 seats
History and description
Olympisch Stadion, nicknamed ‘t Kiel, was built for the 1920 Summer Olympics that were held in the city of Antwerp.
Construction started in July 1919 and the stadium officially opened less than one year later on 23 May 1920.
Back then, the stadium counted with a capacity of 30,000, of which 20,000 standing places. It was bowl-shaped, and had, of course, an athletics track that circled the pitch.
Over the years, capacity got gradually reduced to about 25,000, and when Beerschot merged with Germinal Ekeren in 1999 parts of the stadium had already been demolished.
In 2000, Beerschot embarked on a redevelopment program that would result in a smaller stadium with four separate stands, no running tracks, and with little resemblance of the previous Olympic Stadium.
(photos of the present Olympisch Stadion below)
How to get to Olympisch Stadion
Olympisch Stadion is located in the south of the city of Antwerp, about 4.5 kilometres from the city centre and almost 5.5 kilometres from Antwerp’s main railway station.
Several tram lines connect the stadium with the city centre and main railway station.
From the main railway station, take tram 2 in the direction of Hoboken. Get off at stop Schijfwerper. The journey takes about 20 minutes. Alternatively take tram 24 from Teniers or Rooseveltplaats (direction Schoonselhof). Get off at stop Grens Kiel and walk 10 minutes.
From the city centre take tram 4 in the direction of Hoboken. Get on the tram at stop Groenplaats or Meirbrug, and off at Grens Kiel.
Address: Atletenstraat 80, 2020 Antwerpen-Kiel
Tickets for Beerschot matches can be bought online, or at the Ticket Corner at the stadium.
The Ticket Corner generally opens Thursday evenings or from 2.5 hours before the start of the match.
Tickets cost either €18.00, €20.00, or €22.00.
Photo credits: KSKB1935