Club: KAA Gent | Opening: 1920 | Capacity: 12,919 seats
History and description
Jules Ottenstadion officially opened on the 22nd of August 1920. For most of its existence,the stadium consisted of one small covered main stand with some seats and wooden benches, a covered terrace on the other side, and open terraces completing the stadium.
In 1986, a new main stand was built, and six years later, in 1992, a new stand opened on the other side. In 2002, the open terraces behind the goals were replaced by small covered pre-fabricated stands.
Jules Ottenstadion remained a limited ground though, and soon after Gent started making plans for the construction of a new stadium, initially dubbed Artveldestadion.
The project was hampered by multiple delays, but building works finally started in 2011. Despite further delays, the new stadium, by then called Ghelamco Arena, opened in the summer of 2013.
Demolition works on Jules Ottenstadion started in September 2013. Once the stadium will have been completely demolished, residential houses will be built in its place.