Stade Abbé Deschamps
Club: AJ Auxerre | Opening: 1918 | Capacity: 21,379 seats
History and description
Stade Abbé Deschamps opened on the 13th of October 1918, but it took until 1930 for a first proper stand to be built.
At that time, the stadium was still called Stade de la Route de Vaux, but it got renamed in 1949 after the death of Auxerre’s founder Abbé Deschamps.
Stade Abbé Deschamps remained a modest affair until in the early 1980s two new stands were erected behind the goals. In 1984, the main stand received a large refurbishment.
The stands at the ends got rebuilt again ten years later in 1994. The stadium received a last minor upgrade in 2010 to meet the UEFA standards for Champions League matches.
Stade Abbé Deschamps is located just south-west of the centre of the town of Auxerre. It lies on the banks of the river Yonne.
The walk from the Cathedral in the town centre takes about 15 minutes. The walk from the train station, which sits on the other side of the river, a few minutes more.
If arriving by car from the A6 motorway, take either exit 19 or 20 (Auxerre Nord or Sud) and follow for the town and its centre. At approaching the town follow the signs for AJA Foot.
Address: Route de Vaux, 89000 Auxerre
Tickets can generally also be bought on the gate on the day of the match, though for certain matches the ticket windows remain closed and it will be necessary to buy tickets in advance.
Tickets for a seat behind the goal cost €5.00, and those for a seat at the main stand either €12.00 or €25.00.
For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Relevant Internet links